Position Title: Bus Driver/Operator (Full and Part Time Positions)
Location: Operations – 8800 Corridor Road, Annapolis-Junction, Maryland
Reports To: Dispatchers, Road Supervisors, and AGM-Operations
Salary: $20.00 per hour – Fixed Route Service (CDL with airbrake and Passenger endorsement);
$18.00 per hour – Paratransit and CDL-Trainee (non-CDL)
The Regional Transportation Agency (RTA) manages and operates public transportation in Anne Arundel
County, Howard County, northern Prince George’s County, and the City of Laurel. RTA employs 170
administrative and operational staff out of our Annapolis-Junction location.
We are seeking a dedicated, responsible, team-oriented, Bus Driver/Operator to provide reliable and
efficient service while operating transit vehicles. A CDL, with airbrakes and “P” endorsement is required!
For drivers without a CDL, feel free to apply to our Paratransit/ADA Bus Driver or the CDL Trainee
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Drives one of several different transit buses or company non-revenue vehicles in a safe,
courteous, and reliable manner throughout the contracted service area within a daily assigned
• Demonstrates reliability, flexibility, and professionalism with and without direct supervision.
• Performs pre/post trip vehicle inspections as required.
• Possess a functional knowledge of the demographics of the service area, and must read and
understand street signs, route sheets and maps.
• Stops at designated points to load and/or unload passengers.
• May assist in the boarding of passengers using wheelchairs or other mobility aids and is required
to properly secure wheelchairs and scooters.
• Notifies dispatch of deviations, overload, accidents, passenger incidents, medical/behavioral
problems, or bus mechanical/electrical trouble.
• Assures that fares are deposited into the fare box and dispenses information. Advises
passengers of rules and regulations when necessary.
• Timely and accurately completes/submits written reports concerning passengers and all
• Accurately and efficiently operates on-board computer fare boxes, destination signs, tablets,
and/or other electrical and technical instruments.
• Ability to verbally communicate with passengers and dispatchers/road supervisors including use
of a 2-way radio and PA system.
• Must be able to work shift hours and days assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrates behaviors that are consistent with standards for professional and ethical conduct
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to interact with all interdepartmental personnel
• Positive attitude and sensitivity in dealing with customers with special physical and/or nonneurotypical needs
• Ability to read, write, and speak English and perform basic mathematical procedures.
• Professional experience and professional demeanor
• High School diploma or GED equivalent
• Ability to communicate clearly in the English language
• Must satisfactorily complete all required training
• CDL w/ air brake & passenger endorsements
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
• Ability to work under stress (possibly high) at times and meet strict timelines.
• The ability to work early morning hours, and other varied hours.
• Must have good depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision, and color perception as is
required to drive a motorized vehicle.
• Possess a full range of sense of hearing, including tone, pitch, and volume when operating transit
vehicle, using 2-way radio, and assisting passengers and public.
• Must have good manual dexterity in order to perform the basic functions of the MDT keypad.
Required to reach, grasp, and use multiple objects which include but are not limited to: a 2-way
radio, door control, PA microphone, steering wheel, wheelchair lift control, and bus door control.
• Required to sit while operating vehicle approximately 85 – 90% of the work day. The remaining
10- 15% of the day will require the operator to move both in the internal and exterior perimeters of
the bus, including a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle by walking around and through the vehicle.
• Ability to push/pull tension of at least 50 pounds and ability to bend and stoop/kneel to assist
passengers boarding and securing in wheelchair/scooters and/or to retrieve equipment. Twist at
the knee and waist when operating vehicle, performing vehicle inspections, and securing
wheelchairs. Reach forward, rearward, upward, and downward when operating vehicle,
performing vehicle inspections, and securing wheelchairs.
• Subject to wet, cold, and/or hot environmental conditions.
• Subject to heavy traffic, lights (night), with varying road conditions (seasonal)
• Subject to a low risk of injury due to vehicle accident, mechanical failure, fire, and/or explosion.
• Subject to vehicle noise and vibration while operating transit vehicle.
• Subject to vehicle exhaust fumes and odors, road dusts, and mist.
• This is a bargaining unit position.
Right to Revise:
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive, and the company reserves the right to revise this job
description as necessary without advance notice.
The duties and expectations herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by employees. They are not to be construed, as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties,
and skills required. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to
change at the discretion of the employer without notice.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and
harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran
status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This
policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment